Re: Development donations

From: Werner Koch
Subject: Re: Development donations
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:45:24 +0200

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003 18:39:31 +0200, Marcus Brinkmann said:

> I don't know exactly how many points equal one hour of work, and I don't

Time to jump in with Marcus' "boss" hat on.

The idea of the Maintenance Points is more like a tip you give to the
developers with the expectation that they will continue their work in
a way which satisfies you and others.

This Hurd thing is of course a bit special; as a rule of thumb I'd say
2.5 points (25 USD) are worth an hour of Hurd work; we donate any
difference to our actual cost.  Obviously there must be some limit
because the other projects also require the attention of our hackers
and, beeing a small company, we have to keep our extra donation within
a reasonable limit.  If it turns out that too many Points for Hurd are
ordered, we will consider to hire a hacker for the requested Hurd
sub-projects and adjust the point/time mapping to a reasonable value.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
  Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of
  mankind. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of