Dates of LSM

From: Thomas Petazzoni
Subject: Dates of LSM
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 09:37:26 +0200

Hello,

The dates for the LSM 2003 in Metz have been choosen as to be at the
same time of the LinuxTag. I am currently trying to organize the topic
"Operating system and kernel development", and I am facing problems
due to this date collision. Moreover, the dates of LSM 2003 have been
decided quite late, so developers are already busy with the LinuxTag
for this period. The fact that the dates have been choosen late is not
a problem, the problem is clearly the combination of the fact that
they have been choosen late and the fact that they collide with the
LinuxTag dates.

In your annoncement, you said that you would like to work hand in hand
with the germans, but I see several problems :

 * Maybe speakers could come one day to LSM, one day to LinuxTag
   because their transport costs are paid. But the visitors cannot
   attend to both the LSM and the LinuxTag.

 * For the speakers, it's quite annoying : most of the time, they are
   not those commercial people that travels all the time. They don't
   want to be there for one day, there for two days, etc..

 * The last problem is the main one, in my opinion. The LSM are *not*
   a commercial conference : we don't come, attend to conferences and
   go away. It is also a time (and place) during which developers,
   users, translators can meet, exchange ideas and information, have
   coding parties, install parties, etc.. After the conference time,
   there is always a life during the night in the LSM (I was in
   Bordeaux in 2001 and 2002). If most of the speakers only comes for
   their own presentations, we don't have this atmosphere anymore, and
   the spirit of LSM is broken.

I think it is not possible to change the dates now, but I just wanted
to make sure you are aware of the fact that the dates "collision"
appears to be a problem more than a strength.

Sincerly,

Thomas
--
PETAZZONI Thomas - thomas.petazzoni@enix.org - UIN : 34937744