Hurd installation trouble

From: Michael Ablassmeier
Subject: Hurd installation trouble
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 10:47:42 +0200

hi,

first i have to brief you: i'm new to Hurd :-)

Ok. here is what i've done:

I used a old Debian Net Install CDROM to untar the gnu-latest.tar.gz on
my first Partition (/dev/hda1) which i formated with `mke2fs /dev/hda1`.
Partition size is 1.5 GB. I tried also to format the Partition with
`mke2fs -o hurd /dev/hda1` but if i do so, grub can't read this Disk.

Ok, then i wrote the Grub stage1 and stage2 files on floppy disk and
booted of it, i used this grub commands to fire up Hurd:

,-
| root (hd0,0)
| kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd0s1 -s
| module /boot/serverboot.gz
| boot
`-

All nice, Hurd booted, shell was there.
Then i did an `export TERM=mach` and fired up the "native-install"
script, and got alot amount of errors.

Then i did a reboot, and booted Hurd without the `-s` flag.
After hurd booted nicely, i fired up the native-install script again,
and it seems that dpkg couldn't configure the Packages.

Problem seems to be related in this Error Message:

apt-get update (just for testing):
E: Failed to create IPC pipe to subprocess - pipe (-303 (ipc/mig) bad
request message ID)
E: Failed to create IPC pipe to subprocess - pipe (-303 (ipc/mig) bad
request message ID)
<snip>

(this Error isn't limited to apt-get, other programs and scripts (such
as the native-install script) draw this error too.)

Also Problems:
mount draws an Segmentation Fault

Any hints what i did wrong ?

bye,