Re: Multiple usernames for single UID

From: Stephan Trebels
Subject: Re: Multiple usernames for single UID
Date: 26 May 2003 14:27:14 +0200

In my understanding there is just one user per uid.  The uid IS the user
as far as UNIX is concerned. In the Hurd you can have multiple uids for
a process, taking this a step further - still, this is number-based.

Whether this user has a passwd/NIS/netinfo/? entry or not, is only
relevant for calls like getpwuid or getpwnam.  Also there is no order of
names for an uid, so the id=>name mapping for display is undefined and
may change at any time.

All permissions in UNIX are based on the uid (I wonder what POSIX
specifies about ACLs, but I'd assume this uses names also just for easy
of entry).  I doubt very much, that a task or thread will ever know
about the name that generated the uid.  This will only be in the shell
env and wtmp/utmp/lastlog logs.

whether the login program might make a difference for the users or not,
and where, I doubt, that POSIX specifies behaviour here.  Normally you
are able to use specific login shells, home dirs, utmp/wtmp entries, but
this is relying on unspecified behaviour.

I admit, I've also used multiple accounts with UID 0 which had different
login shells, but this needs thought and is not portable across UNIX
systems.  Also, which username will be used for display of a processes,
file ownership, etc. purely depends on getpwuid semantics - IOW pure
luck.  It doesn't even have to be consistent over time (imagine a hashed
db rebuild).

I can see an application for this, but my personal opinion is to avoid
it as much as possible and use SUDO-like solutions, instead.  There are
loads of these programs available and you can execute certain logged
commands using certain privileges, which is typically enough.

Stephan