Re: Grep --directories option

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Grep --directories option
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:19:12 +0200

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 02:05:42PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    > How to differentiate these systems I don't know, maybe a "mkdir
>    > foo; cat foo"?  Or just using host_os
>
>    Thank you very much.  I think this is the best solution.
>
> I think this is a bad solution, what about cross-compilation?  You
> will compile with crazy options for the target system.

You are wrong.  Obviously such a test can not be run when cross compiling,
but that is true for all tests where you need to run a program (note that
the above is meant as an actual C program doing a mkdir() and a read()).

And when cross compiling, either the user has to specify the test result in
a config cache, or grep needs to rely on host_os to determine the default
for known systems.

This is all canonical, and you should really have known this if you worry
about cross-compilation (as you seem to do).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/