Re: Grep --directories option

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: Grep --directories option
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 14:11:11 -0700

On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 01:58:14PM -0700, Paul Eggert wrote:

> This is simple and portable, and it's more useful than the current
> behavior.  The new behavior would conform to POSIX, since POSIX
> requires that the input files must be text files; directories are not
> text files, so GNU grep can do what it likes with them.

I don't have my copy of Posix handy - Is there a rule saying that
directories cannot be textfiles?  It's certainly reasonable in the Hurd
that they might be both.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
You said homosexuals form a small percentage of the population.  So
do Jews.  Is that a reason to deny someone equality?