Re: [Announce] dmd -0.5

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: [Announce] dmd -0.5
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 12:11:09 +0200

   Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 00:20:25 +0200
   From: Robert Millan <zeratul2@wanadoo.es>
   Sender: help-hurd-bounces+ams=kemisten.nu@gnu.org

   On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 06:05:14PM +0200, Wolfgang Jaehrling wrote:
   > On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 02:56:14PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
   > > are you planning...
   > >  - to make it gnu software?
   >
   > As soon as I am confident that dmd will end up being a very good piece
   > of software, I want to make it GNU software.

   I see.. wish it becomes so!

   > >  - to get it packaged for debian?
   >
   > Sure, but I want it to be really well integrated, and doing that will
   > take me some time.

   uhm yes, i noticed it somewhat interfers with the current sysvinit package

   > > i'm looking for a working init for GNU/FreeBSD [1]. do you think dmd
   > > might fit well?
   >
   > No, since dmd is no `init'.  Without a seperate init you won't get
   > very far. :-)

   oh. then we still need to port debian's sysvinit. btw help from anyone
   reading this is quite welcome :)

No, you have missunderstood what dmd is.  It is not /sbin/init, it is
an repleacement for it (think of it as GNU's not Unix, yet they are
quite similar in several regards).  From the annoucment mail for
dmd--0.7:

(define about-the-software
  "The dmd program is a service manager, i.e. on the GNU system (which
is the primary target), it replaces /sbin/init completely, on systems
which are similar to Unix (e.g. GNU/Linux) it replaces the part of
/sbin/init that is responsible for switching runlevels (/etc/rc?.d and
/etc/init.d come to mind), respawning services (/etc/inittab comes to
mind) and similar things.")