Re: static linking and iso9660fs

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: static linking and iso9660fs
Date: 02 Sep 2003 19:39:46 +0200

Greg Buchholz <sleepingsquirrel@sleepingsquirrel.org> writes:

> On Sun, 31 Aug 2003, Marco Gerards wrote:
>
> > Great! Can you please tell us what you managed to do and what you are
> > trying to do?  I'm really interested in this. (But I was too lazy to
> > try this myself :)).
>
>       Just trying to get a bootable GNU CD for a native install or a
> live CD, etc.  I haven't actually accomplished much yet.  I can get
> gnumach to boot off of a CD, and now that I've got a statically linked
> iso9660fs, I'm going to try to get a grub that understands cd-rom drives,
> and hopefully I'll be one step closer to a bootable CD (so I can tell grub
> something like 'root (hd3,0)' where hd3 is a cd drive).

Why do you need this?  If you boot from an el torito bootable CDROM
you can put GNUMach, isofs.static, ld.so and exec on the boot image
(IIRC that is all that is needed).  But having GRUB reading the disk
is the right way, but unfortunately it isn't supported by GRUB yet
(officially).

[...]

> ...then we'll only need a write-to-readonly media translator and we're
> done (or that's the hope anyway:)

Have you tried the copy store?

Thanks,
Marco