Re: We want to join the developement

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Re: We want to join the developement
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:35:10 -0400

For hardware, something like a Pentium-II with 440BX chipset,
IDE drives, plenty of RAM, and a fast 2D graphics card probably
a Matrox would work good, and an Intel EtherExpressPro100
card definately works. Older machines should also work, but
some of the newer IDE chipsets are unsupported right now.
Something like above can give you pretty good performance
and compile speed.

Then if you install the latest version from Debian you should
be set with a pretty good development system with all the
compilers and programming tools.

Finally you need to study the code for the translator servers
that run the current filesystems and the networking and
implement your CIFS filesystem in a similar fashion. Practice
compiling the "Hurd" package and get familiar with it and
what it all does.

Hope this helps get you started.

anand narayan vidwansa wrote:

Hi,
We are a group of 3 students appearing for our final year in Computer Engineering and we are supposed to work on a software project. For that matter we are very much interested in "An implementation of CIFS on GNU Hurd" which is mentioned on GNU Task List on this webpage http://www.gnu.org/prep/tasks_5.html#SEC5. Can anybody plz help us figure out the requirements and goals about this project? I'll be thankful,to whomever it may concern,thank you.
                                                               anand