Re: Hurd CIFS implementation

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: Hurd CIFS implementation
Date: 13 Oct 2003 15:08:45 +0200

"aditya gupta" <adityalug@indiatimes.com> writes:

> We are a team of 3 members and we've opted to work on "Implementing
> CIFS(Common Internet File System) on GNU-Hurd", So, it would be of
> great help for us to get the complete knowledge about all the
> details of CIFS, Hurd and the current activities undertaken in this
> direction.

I don't know CIFS, but for network filesystems in general, a server
running on the Hurd should be about the same as a (user space) server
on any unix-like system.

Te client-side is more interesting. I think good places to start are the
rpc interface for filesystems, the Hurd libnetfs library, and the
source for other other network filesystem translators like the nfs
translator and the ftpfs translator.

Happy hacking,
/Niels