Re: gnumach 1.3 + gcc 3.3

From: Eric Olinger
Subject: Re: gnumach 1.3 + gcc 3.3
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 11:07:09 -0800

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 02:24:48 +0100 (MET)
"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> wrote:

> Autoconf 2.57 should work just dandy, the current cconfigure script
> was generated by that version.  And that has been the case since about
> a year...
The current autoconf generated files thats in cvs work. The problem is when
autoconf is rerun durring the compile process it pulls in AC_TRY_COMPILER,
AC_PROG_CC_GNU. When i googled for the problem I came across the fact
that those macros were removed in the autoconf 2.5x branch. So I thought
the build system hadn't been updated to use the newer autoconf or the patch
was never put into CVS.

This is the compete crash I get when the patch isn't applied:

make[2]: Entering directory `/root/src/gnumach/gnumach-build/i386/linux'
cd . && rm -f configure && autoconf Drivers.in > configure
-:1564: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_TRY_COMPILER
      See the Autoconf documentation.
-:1587: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_CC_GNU
make[2]: *** [configure] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnumach/gnumach-build/i386/linux'
make[1]: *** [linux/linux.o] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/src/gnumach/gnumach-build/i386'
make: *** [i386/sysdep.o] Error 2

As is being discussed on bug-hurd currently. Why is autoconf being run durring
the
build process. It doesn't look like autoconf is just seening the files out of
sync but the
Makefile.in is running it as part of the build process (from
i386/linux/Makefile.in):

# Autoconf support
$(srcdir)/configure: $(srcdir)/Drivers.in $(srcdir)/../../Drivers.macros
        cd $(srcdir) && rm -f configure && autoconf Drivers.in > configure

Could it be the fact that the macros are just defined in the aclocal.m4, which
the patch
I mentioned just happened to remove? They don't appear to be referenced in any
of the
other configuration files.

--
Eric Olinger

Give a man a password, he'll log in for a day. Teach him to code, and he
will hack his way in...