Re: Device Drivers

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Device Drivers
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:44:43 +0200

[moved to help-hurd from debian-hurd, since this ain't Debian stuff]

     I am trying to develop a driver for my SiS 900 network card.

Better just rip out the code for it that is in Linux, and dump it in
the GNU Mach tree (I'm only talking about the gnumach-1-branch).

The short story of adding new drivers to GNU Mach 1.x is that you:

* dump the source code for the driver in, [gnumach]/linux/src/drivers,
  for network drivers this would be for example,
  [gnumach]/linux/src/drivers/net.

* add a option line in [gnumach]/i386/linux/Drivers.in

* add a listing of the source code you added to
  [gnumach]/i386/linux/Makefile.in at some approriate place.

Then recompile with your new option, and fix any resulting errors,
bugs, etc.

Happy hacking.