Re: help

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: help
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 17:03:21 +0200

   Believe or not, it's a bit difficult for me to get Debian GNU/Hurd
   CDs (or to download isos) (A).  So, I rather would spend several
   hours to do crosscompiling. It's not a big problem...

Not hard to believe, was just curious, so I asked.  Maybe someone
could mail you a CD if you couldn't find any place to order it from.

   If I could look at a working system, I would take it.  But look at
   (A).  I need to know what is correct /servers for the first time.

;)

I don't know how familiar you are with GNU/Hurd, but I'll explain the
output from find quickly in either case, first filed is the file
(should be clear what is a file and what is a directory), the field
after the colon is the translator setting.  So to get the same stuff
set on those files, you just do:

settrans -cp FILE WHATS-AFTER-THE-COLON

ams@flubber:/servers$ find -exec showtrans -p {} \;
.
./socket
./socket/1: /hurd/pflocal
./socket/2: /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 192.168.10.51 -g 192.168.10.1 -m
255.255.255.0
./socket/local: /hurd/symlink 1
./socket/inet: /hurd/symlink 2
./exec: /hurd/exec
./crash-suspend: /hurd/crash --suspend
./crash-kill: /hurd/crash --kill
./password: /hurd/password
./crash-dump-core: /hurd/crash --dump-core
./crash: /hurd/symlink crash-suspend
ams@flubber:/servers$

That is what is on a working system, not all of them are needed
(/server/exec is the only one needed for the system to boot, then you
can use settrans to create the others), but they are standard.

If you'd like, I can send you (or let you download whatever is easier
for you) a bunch of old scripts that would setup a working system.
You might not be able to use it directly, but you can atleast look at
some of the bits that create all needed files etc.  Not to big either,
about 129kb.

Then you will need also the following: /libexec/rc and
/libexec/runsystem; and a symlink from /lib/ld.so.1 to /lib/ld.so

That is what comes to my mind right now...

   I didn't have any problem with glibc (it's from Slackware 8.0!).
   As I have seen, Hurd only uses things from ISO 9899:1999 and
   probably GCC extensions, but some quick hacks solve this problem.

Ok, I thought that you use a pure glibc, without any hacks.  Then it
might work.  But it isn't recommended though, if you'd like, I could
make a patch from glibc 2.2.3 against the current CVS version for you
to snatch if you don't want to download the whole CVS tree which is
quite big.