Re: Permissions with /dev/console

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Permissions with /dev/console
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 23:34:03 +0200

"Jose Luis Alarcon Sanchez" <jlalarcon@tandilnet.zzn.com> writes:

>   My first question to the list is about a message getting at
> the time of login into the system: after login user and
> Password i get this:
>
> login: chown: /dev/console: Operation not permitted

That is a known bug.

> and after the prompt is there and working well...
>
>   Why this message?. What importance have it?. Are there a
> way of solve this?.

This message is caused by the incorrect permissions on /bin/login.  I
don't know the side effects of this, but I have not noticed any
drawbacks.

It might be interesting to figure out why everything works perfectly,
even when the permissions are not correct.

You can fix this using: "chmod u+s /bin/login".

>   Sorry if my questions don't have a high level. I hope
> some day in the future i will can help to develop GNU/Hurd.

No problem, that is what the help-hurd list is for.

--
Marco