Re: Booting the hurd for the fist time fails

From: Michael Banck
Subject: Re: Booting the hurd for the fist time fails
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2005 13:31:49 +0100

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 01:13:10PM +0100, jls wrote:
> 1) is it possible to use menu.lst instead of typing everything over and over
> again when booting the first time?

Of course.

> If so, what is the commad set, in particular how is the single user
> mode (-s) specified?

Well, it's the same as you would write out on the command-line. I
usually leave out the '-s' from the kernel line and only add it back
manually when I need it by editing the menu entry on bootup in grub.

> 2) Is the device:hd0s5 correct? in
> grub> kernel (hd0,4)/boot/gnumach.gz root=device:hd0s5 -s

If GNU/Linux would call it /dev/hda5, it's correct I believe, yes.

> 5) Aside from my questions do I have someting fundamentally wrong?

Well, it's a bit hard to tell. Is there any screen output after you run
boot? How much memory do you have? If it's more then 512 MB, try to
limit it in GRUB via the uppermem option (I think).

Maybe somebody else knows what other stuff you could try.

Michael

--
<ajmitch> good thing I have root on that box
<jbailey> ajmitch: Why, save you the trouble of just rooting the box yourself?