Re: Hurd simply reboots

From: Nicolas CANIART
Subject: Re: Hurd simply reboots
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 01:54:23 +0200

On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 12:25:56AM +0200, Michael Banck wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2005 at 11:57:26PM +0200, Nicolas CANIART wrote:
> > Hi all !
> >
> >   As Kevin I recently try to install the Hurd, i think i should say
> > manually (using crosshurd for the base followed by the 2 native-install
> > + reboot). Is that what you call the manual install ?
> >   If it is you may be warn that it is currently broken : some package(s)
> > depends on slang1 package which is not in the repository (tried the 3
> > one given in tthe debian install-guide + this one :
> >   ftp://ftp.eila.jussieu.fr/pub/Debian-gnuab/dists/unreleased/).
>
> Indeed, this is a known problem.  I have recompiled slang1, but the main
> Debian ftp server is offline due to relocation right now, so I will not
> be able to upload the packages for a while.
>
> >   I also have question concerning stability, the system running never
> > more than one hour... yes I know that Hurd is still in an early stage of
> > development... but those crashes generally corrupt my fs and all y can
> > do is reinstalling the system. I've seen that I may use sync before
> > reboot... but sync seems to freeze everything... looks like a vicious
> > circle. Do you have any idea to enhance the situation ?
>
> Try doing any I/O intensive stuff (like compiling) on a seperate
> partition, your / partition should then stay pretty clean.

  That means I should move /usr and /var to another partition. Does not
seem to be a good idea according to [1]; Most of the fs crash undergone
after apt-getting few stuffs : vi, gcc, etc... just things to render the
system more operant...
  But, ok, I'll try... as soon as I can install the Hurd again.

> If you cannot sync, your file system translator is probably already
> hanging, not much one can do then.
>

> Michael

  Another question : is it safe to use Linux' fsck on Hurd fs ?
Can't see no objection (the fs is init. with linux' mke2fs) but it is
said in the doc (can't remember exactly where) that Hurd has its own
extentions to ext2 to handle translators, so...

Thanks again,
Nicolas.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2005/07/msg00042.html

--