hello-world GNU Mach driver

From: Shakthi Kannan
Subject: hello-world GNU Mach driver
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 01:02:17 -0700 (PDT)

Greetings!

I am trying to work on GNUmach 1.3 drivers (not using
oskit).

I don't want to use the linux drivers with glue
interface as I want to build my own subsystem in the
kernel with driver support, atleast want to learn how
to do that.

I have written a small C file with two functions, and
added it to kern/ directory in gnumach/, and modified
the Makefile.in so that the code compiles with the
kernel. I did an objdump on the created gnumach image
and found the disassembly of the two functions :).

1. I can simply call the above two functions from one
of the kern/ C files to test if it gets called. When
it comes to a device driver interface, and assuming
the above are two driver functions, where do I
register this driver such that the kernel will call
this particular function?

2. How do I write a user-space function that can open
this particular driver in gnumach to demonstrate the
control flow between user-space and kernel-space and
vice-versa. I am totally blank on this part :(

I have seen include/device/device.defs having the
device driver interface. But, I have no clue as to how
to go about it.

I'd appreciate any simple hello-world driver example
to get me started on this.

Looking forward to some code examples,

K Shakthi