Re: Network problem

From: Marco Gerards
Subject: Re: Network problem
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2006 13:49:15 +0100

Mildred <ml.mildred593@online.fr> writes:

Hi Mildred,

> I'm new here ... and I installed the Gnu/Hurd with crosshurd in the
> Ubuntu distribution.
> I'm wondering if this mailing list is active or not because I regustred
> yesteday and I do not have receved any messages yet.

Perhaps no one is having problems with GNU/Hurd. ;-)

> So, what is my problem ?
> I can't use my network card ... I type the needed commands but no
> network at all.
>
> settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a 10.0.0.128
> -g 10.0.0.1 -m 255.0.0.0

> Then I try to ping my server at 10.0.0.1 but no response.

Did you have a look at the NIC/hub/switch to see if it is
transmitting?  Can you use tcpdump or ethereal on the receiver to see
if the ping requests are received and perhaps even sent back?

If the replies are sent back, and if ping doesn't respond to it, it is
most likely an IRQ problem.  The packet does arrive, but the network
driver is not informed of this event.  The most likely cause for this
problem is that you have shared IRQs.  If you have GNU/Linux on that
system, you can have a look at /proc/interrupts.

> With the help of the HurdFr mailing list, I tried to look at th system
> log (/dev/klog) and found this:
>
> $ grep eth /gnu/root/klog
> eth0: VIA VT6102 Rhine-II at 0xbc00,  (MISSING EEPROM
> ADDRESS)3e:4c:69:6e:75:78, IRQ 10. eth1: D-Link DE-600 pocket adapter:
> not at I/O 0x378.
>
> Is the MISSING EEPROM ADDRESS is normal or not ?
> I searched on google without success...

That's certainly weird.  But you have a MAC address, so it should at
least work...

--
Marco