Re: Hurd and microkernel changes

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Hurd and microkernel changes
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2006 13:01:09 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 15, 2006 at 03:33:08PM +1300, Shams wrote:

> 1. So how will ngHurd differ from the official GNU Hurd?

There is way too much to describe it in a short mail. The wiki at
http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Hurd/NextHurd tries to summarize some
of it, but if you want a more complete picture, you have to spend lots
of time reading the l4-hurd archives.

> 2. Do you think that ngHurd will win support from the exisiting Hurd
> community including GNU?

Most people in the existing community are quite interested in ngHurd.
However, many don't seem to be aware just how much different it will be
from the mainline Hurd. (Some people for example don't want to believe
that the translators won't be compatible, although the ngHurd designers
have stated so quite explicitely.)

Personally, I consider it an interesting research project, but not
feasible as a mainstream kernel for GNU -- it's just too different from
UNIX (and thus GNU) concepts. Others have higher expectations though...
Only time will tell.

-antrik-