Re: Getting started in Hurd Development

From: Richard Braun
Subject: Re: Getting started in Hurd Development
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:09:12 +0200

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:32:44AM -0400, Keith Meyer wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm new to the list, but I'm very interested in operating system
> development.  After reading up on Mach and Hurd I wanted to become a
> part of the development of it. My only problem is I need a little
> guidance on where to begin with it.

You could begin with installing the Hurd (if not already done of course) :
http://ftp.gnuab.org/pub/debian-cd/K11/ (installation ISOs)
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/users-guide/using_gnuhurd.html

If you want to begin with development, you could try writing a translator :
http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hacking-guide/hhg.html

Also, there are tasks and bugs to fix on savannah :
https://savannah.gnu.org/task/?group=hurd

Regularly testing Xorg would help these days.

> I'm okay at coding but I don't know
> C well enough IMO, I'm really good at writing documentation, other than
> that I'm not too sure. I've never worked on an open source project
> before could someone give me a little help in getting started?

The problem with writing documentation is, as you mentionned, that you
need to know the object of the documentation. We already have quite good
documentation about Mach and Hurd interfaces and internals, but there are
still things to do. I guess working on l10n and i18n is also a nice thing
to do (locales still don't work nice on the Hurd).

Also, you could do some packaging work (we mainly use Debian GNU/Hurd).

I hope it helps a bit :-).

--
Richard Braun