Re: Hurd features (continued)

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: Hurd features (continued)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2007 18:52:39 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 05, 2007 at 05:20:10PM +1300, Shams wrote:

> 1. Does/will Hurd support something like built in version control of
> files/directories (just like CVS) eg. achieval if one can install some
> sort of fs filter driver, can this be done via translators?

Yes, this can be implemented with translators. AFAIK it hasn't been done
so far.

> 2. What about ACL at file or directory level? Now I believe auth
> server will play some role in this? Or will a translator play a role
> in this.

I guess you mean POSIX ACLs? These would have to be implemented in the
individual filesystems (ext2fs translator etc.), just like on any other
system. I don't think auth plays any role in this. (Not sure though...)

Note that it's questionable whether POSIX ACLs are useful at all... If
you need access permissions that can not be expressed using the ordinary
access bits (which are more powerful on the Hurd than on UNIX, because a
single process can have several UIDs), you are probably better off using
capabilities (Mach port rights in the current implementation) directly.

Unless of course you want to use some program that relies on POSIX ACLs,
and thus need compatibility...

> 3. Now translators can they be developed so that they can be layered
> on top of each other?
>
> - an even higher level translator to print out the contents of xfiles
> via http. - a translator sits here to control who can access this
> directory for finer control /mnt/xfiles

Not sure what you mean exactly, but yes, translators can be layered. In
fact, every disk FS translator normally is layered on top of a store
translator.

> 4. Is it possible for translators to talk to each other or more
> specifically is a translator just another server?

A translator is just a server attached to a filesystem node, and
usually, but not always, implementing an FS interface itself.

A translator can talk to other translators, just like any other programm
can.

BTW, this kind of questions would be more appropriate on
bug-hurd@gnu.org .

-antrik-