Documentation (was: Status of the Hurd ?)

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Documentation (was: Status of the Hurd ?)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 14:41:09 +0100

Hello!

On Thu, Feb 01, 2007 at 07:57:12AM +0200, Constantine Kousoulos wrote:
> Xavier Maillard wrote:
> >I have real difficulties to get informations about our precious
> >GNU nowadays.
> >
> >So I am asking here. By the way, is there a website eligible for
> >us to stay "up to date" and to follow as close as possible Hurd
> >development ?
>
> Currently, the most up to date site available is our wiki at
> http://hurd.gnufans.org/. However, you will find out that the wiki
> updates are not on the "bleeding edge" of development. :)

... and that the wiki is in a rather messy state.  (And, yes, I promised
to fix that, and, yes, I still indend to do that.)

> The best way to follow Hurd development is to monitor the bug-hurd
> mailing list. Development is coordinated through that list.

Yes, that's true.

Every now and then I also try to invest some time into maintaining and
adding new items to the official web pages,
<http://gnu.org/software/hurd/>.

If someone has content to put up there, please tell me!

I'd also like to add more stuff about the HurdNG effort, but I don't
really know how to approach that.  (I already linked to the `NextHurd'
wiki page.)

I also recently started adding some links to documentation on
<http://gnu.org/software/hurd/docs.html> and will continue with that: for
example Neal's years-old (but still valid, of course) ``Manual Translator
Bootstrap'' and ``Mach IPC without MIG'' are on my list.

Some days ago Aamir Mughal was asking about Mach IPC on our irc channel
-- I just yesterday added a link to the ``Unofficial GNU Mach IPC
beginner's guide'' to the documentation page, perhaps that helps.

Regards,
 Thomas