Re: some questions

From: Thomas Schwinge
Subject: Re: some questions
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 11:22:52 +0100

Hello!

On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 03:08:21AM -0800, chamel wrote:
> 1. Why hurd doesn't use a new microkernel? why it uses Mach?

Because that's how it all began, and so far nobody came up with a better
implementation that would allow for switching the microkernel while
maintaining the functionality the current system on Mach provides.

Would you be willing to help?

> (I know that creating a microkernel is not a simple thing, but GNU
> community is very large it should't be a problem

(a) What makes you think that exactly such work isn't going on?  (b) Even
if we were able to, it wouldn't be the spirit of the GNU community to
force people to work on things where they didn't for themselves decide to
work on.  Yes, there are many people in the GNU community, with very
different skills, but not too many of them are interested in working on
kernel-like stuff.

Would you be willing to help?

> 2. Hurd is implementation of servers, right? can you name them
> please.(I want to know how does it work)

<http://www.bddebian.com/~wiki/hurd/translator/> and
<http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/hurd-doc-server> should be pretty
exhaustive.

> 3. I wanted to ask these questions on irc channel but you - gurus think
> that a simple man who comes by should be ignored, it's not polite.

What IRC channel, at what time, what was your nick name?

> p.s. I don't think that you will success in writting GNU/Hurd, but I
> wish you luck.

Thanks for your support and kind words!  Would you be willing to help?

Regards,
 Thomas