Re: [CDROM] cannot vm_map whole disk: (os/kern): no-space available

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: [CDROM] cannot vm_map whole disk: (os/kern): no-space available
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2008 18:17:36 +0200

Hi,

On Sat, Apr 05, 2008 at 03:00:48PM +0300, Sergiu Ivanov wrote:

>  I downloaded the DVDs with Debian GNU/Hurd and installed the Hurd
>  under QEMU. When I try to "mount" the DVD from within the Hurd I get
>  the following
>
> (null):~#settrans -a /mnt/cd1 /hurd/iso9660fs /dev/hd2
> /hurd/iso9660fs: cannot vm_map whole disk: (os/kern): no-space
> available settrans: /hurd/iso9660fs: Translator died.
>
> I tried storeinfo, it showed me that /dev/hd2 is 3Gb in size, which is
> the real size of the DVD. Does it mean that my RAM size + SWAP size
> must be greater than the size of the disk I want to "mount"?

No, not at all. It's totally unrelated to RAM or swap size. It's only
about address space.

The problem is that the Hurd filesystem servers generally try to map the
whole partition into the address space. This was OK when partitions were
generally small, but it fails when they get larger than about 2 GiB,
which is very common nowadays...

For ext2fs, there is a patch to fix this in the Debian package (though
not upstream CVS); but the other filesystem probably still need fixing.

It means though that the DVD images are pretty useless -- I wonder that
nobody noticed that before...

Anyways, you should have more luck with CD images. Or just don't use the
images at all once you did the initial installation, and get the
packages you need directly from the internet instead...

-antrik-