Re: architecture

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: architecture
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 19:20:01 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 12:29:09PM +0200, Jakub Daniel wrote:

> do you plan to port GNU/Hurd to 64b architectures in future? how for
> would that future be if yes?

Some people expressed interest in that, but there are no plans so far.

There are more fundamental things to fix before it will be really ready
for applications where accessing multiple GiB of RAM is actually
necessary...

BTW, bug-hurd is probably better suited for this kind of questions :-)

> how can i help (now probably just by testing things, cause i dont have
> the experiences you require that one has to allow him to join the
> developers team) when i get the GNU/Hurd system work on my laptop.
> Where should i log to to get the list of things that has to be
> tested..

There is no such list... From time to time there is need to test some
new package version or so; these things usually get announced on the
bug-hurd mailing list and/or the #hurd IRC channel.

If you have at least a bit of programming experience, one thing you
could help with is porting/fixing Debian packages to compile on the
Hurd.

Otherwise, the only way you can help (aside from playing with stuff in
general to identify new problems), is by helping with improving the wiki
at http://bddebian.com/~wiki .

-antrik-