Re: GNU/Hurd and SATA

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd and SATA
Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 15:41:28 +0200

Hi,

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 02:37:12AM +0200, Pedro Bezunartea López wrote:

> I'm willing to be an alfa tester for the SATA support! ;)
>
> Any ideas when this support will be available?

SATA support, and many many other drivers for current hardware, requires
replacing the ancient Linux 2.0 drivers in gnumach with something newer.
Many people have announced that they will work on this over the past few
years, but nobody ever produced any actual results. There is no reason
to suppose that this will change any time soon.

> I could also try to run it inside a virtualbox VM, is that useful
> betatesting?

We know that it doesn't work in Virtualbox, and we don't know why. Well,
maybe some newer version of Virtualbox fixed it in the mean time...
Testing it can't hurt.

It works in qemu, KVM, and Xen though.

-antrik-