Re: won't complete booting, not sure whether it's a hardware issue or no

From: Marcelo de Sena Lacerda
Subject: Re: won't complete booting, not sure whether it's a hardware issue or not
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 10:33:53 -0200

And could you say more about what hardware are you using?

2008/10/15 <olafBuddenhagen@gmx.net>
Hi,

On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 10:12:37PM +0100, Stuart Morrow wrote:

> Hello, I'm installing Debian Hurd (for the first time) by the method in
> which you untar the system files onto an ext partition in Linux and then
> just boot into that, and it doesn't work for me. It uncompresses the
> gnumach, loads it up, it begins detecting hardware, then hangs. It gets
> as far as the line:
> via-rhine.c:vl.16 7/22/2003 Written by Donald Becker <becker@scyld.com>
>       http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
> and that's when it hangs. Is it a hardware problem?

Sounds like a bug in the kernel, most likely the mentioned driver. Do
you actually have a VIA network card?

I'm not sure whether this is the way it would manifest itself, but
perhaps it is an IRQ conflict -- Mach can't cope with shared IRQs... Can
you check that please?

-antrik-

--
Marcelo Sena(Diones)