Error 28: the select item cannot fit into memory

From: Ferreira & Associados Advocacia
Subject: Error 28: the select item cannot fit into memory
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 19:49:33 -0300

Problem booting GNU-Hurd

1 – I downloaded the CD images;

2 – I run the install program;

3 – I setup the grub’s menu.lst file;

4 – When I select the system GNU/Hurd to boot the computer reboots;

5 – In grub commandline I tried to load the gnumach.gz file and received the error: “Error 28: the select item cannot fit into memory”;

6 – I tried to do the same with vmlinuz-2.26: success;

7 – vmlinuz-2.26 is quite bit bigger than gnumach.gz!;

I am using Debian GNU/Linux Lenny; no kernel compilations; no changes at all;

Can Anyone help me to solucionate that?