Re: What would it take....

From: Da Zheng
Subject: Re: What would it take....
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 22:24:33 +0800

Hi,

Samuel Thibault wrote:
>> 5. What would it take to implement task #7050? (process-shared
>> semaphores and mutexes)
>
> Good understanding of both the Posix norm and Hurd's RPCs, and careful
> implementation.
Do Hurd's RPCs have to be used in order to provide process-shared semaphores?
I thought we could use shared memory between network drivers and pfinet in
order to improve their performance. If Hurd's RPCs have to be used when we
synchronize relevant operations, we might not get any benefit by using shared
memory.
When process-shared semaphores and mutexes themselves are in the shared memory,
can we not use the similar implementation as the ones in the same process?

Zheng Da