Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]

From: Svante Signell
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Some qemu+hurd questions]
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2010 22:54:29 +0100

On Sun, 2010-10-31 at 22:32 +0100, Arne Babenhauserheide wrote:
> Hi Svante,
>
> > Installation went well, apt and grub2 work perfectly, however extremely
> > slow, several hours for the installation.
>
> Great! (that it worked)
>
> > - When installing Hurd, no Swedish locale was found, I used the default.
> > The problem is that the US keyboard is used by qemu+hurd, while I have a
> > Swedish keyboard. It is very difficult to type correctly since common
> > characters are at strange positions, e.g. - is /, <shift>* is |, ö is :,
> > etc. How do I get a Swedish keyboard mapping working in qemu+hurd?
>
> I use qemu --curses to get my Neo keyboard layout :)

Seems to work under xterm, with gnome-terminal my commands are not echoed.
Can even get a scrollbar with 'xterm -sb -rightbar &' and run qemu from that
terminal.

> > - qemu seems to grab the mouse when clicking on the window, making it
> > impossible to copy text from that window somewhere else. Is that
> > solvable?
>
> --curses, too. But you have to X, then.

Do you mean I start qemu from a terminal running X? Which packages to
install to get X running under hurd?

> > - qemu-kvm is also available in addition to qemu. Would things be faster
> > with it, there seems to be some kernel modules added? Does my CPU, see
> > below, support virtualisation?
>
> Since vmx is missing, it doesn’t look that good for kvm. Did you try --enable-
> kqemu and --kernel-kqemu (and being in the kqemu group)?

Did not find any kqemu options, only --enable-kvm in qemu!

> > - Availability of Emacs, Arch Hurd has a working version, not Debian.
> > I'm not so fluent in using vi or nano.
>
> There’s no emacs? Last time I looked, I had one running…

Seems to be broken now.

Thanks,
Svante