Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programming i

From: Mark Lies
Subject: Hurd Newbie Question: Is Debian GNU/Hurd stable enough for programming in C, C++, Ruby on Rails, or Python?
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 11:38:53 -0500

Hello!

Today is November 2nd, 2011.  I am writing this post to ask a question from a newbie’s perspective with regard to the Hurd.   First, I will ask my question, then I will let you know what I’ve tried already.  I am trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough to use as a programming platform and learning tool in these four languages, C, C++, Ruby on Rails, and Python.  Additionally, I am trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough to use with the R-statistical package, gnuplot, emacs, and TeX and its variants.  I am entirely comfortable working in a *NIX environment in command-line mode only, ie, no windowing system installed, but am accustomed to working in GUI-based environments (Windows and OS X) and would prefer to work from a command-line terminal within a GUI.

First of all, I am aware from information on the Debian GNU/Hurd website that Debian GNU/Hurd is not stable and not appropriate for someone who is an end-user and who needs a stable system like Microsoft Windows or Mac OS X or Debian GNU/Linux.  Also, I know that some people are already using GNU/Hurd daily for simple tasks like email, light surfing, ftp, and other ‘simple’ things, and that Xwindows is glitchy and sometimes hangs completely.

I am trying to find out if Debian GNU/Hurd is stable enough for the purposes I mentioned in the first paragraph.  I have already spent a lot of time searching for this information, but most answers I find are outdated.  I've done a cursory search of the help-hurd mailing list archive.  I have Googled all of the obvious combinations of Debian, GNU, GNU Hurd, and Hurd, paired with Python, Ruby, and Ruby on rails.  I understand that Python, Ruby, and Ruby on Rails are all compatible with POSIX based environments.  I also understand how to follow instructions to compile from source.  Do these languages compile from source and function as expected in Debian GNU/Hurd?  Does GCC compile from source and function as expected?  Finally, I would ask the same question about the three software packages I mentioned.  As a practical matter, will they compile and function as expected in the current form of Debian GNU/Hurd?

Any help, information, or links to appropriate reading material that you can provide is most appreciated.

Thank you,

Mark