Re: Debian Gnu/Hurd - Configure Network

From: Samuel Thibault
Subject: Re: Debian Gnu/Hurd - Configure Network
Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2012 18:36:07 +0200

zac storer, le Thu 31 May 2012 16:46:55 -0600, a écrit :
> I am a newbie. I have installed debian gnu/hurd alongside debian gnu/linux on
> real hw. I am trying to configure the network with dhclient.
> I am following the following tutorials: http://www.debian.org/ports/hurd/
> hurd-install and http://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/dde/guide.html .

Argl, nobody took the time to update these, including myself. This is
now done (but not updated on the websites yet). Basically, don't follow
the second link any more, it's all done for you already (except that you
probably have broken things already, more about it below).

> lists.debian.org/debian-hurd/2012/05/msg00043.html .
> I have updated the hurd, gnumach, netdde, and isc-dhcp-client packages.
> Everything seems to be fine.
> I then issue a dhclient -v /dev/eth0, and get the following error:
>
> ../../../../lib/isc/unix/socket.c:5636: setsockopt(21, IPV6_V6ONLY) failed:
> (?)
> (?)
> ... Copyright info here ...
>
> fsysopts: /servers/socket/2: -i /dev/eth0: (ipc/mig) server died
> Error getting hardware address for "/dev/eth0": No such device

Which probably means the DDE driver just didn't find your device.  Or
perhaps simply lacks the firmware. Use the following to get debugging
information from the DDE driver:

settrans -fgap /dev/netdde /hurd/netdde

and then kill any devnode and pfinet process to let them restart with
the newer netdde.

> # settrans -fg /dev/eth0
> # rm /dev/eth0
> # settrans -c /dev/eth0 /hurd/devnode -M /dev/netdde eth0

You also need to drop the /dev/netdde node.  And rather not recreate the
/dev nodes yourself, better simply call dpkg-reconfigure hurd which will
do it for you (unless something is there already, that's why you should
remove them before calling it).

Samuel