Re: Suppress "is up to date" log?

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: Suppress "is up to date" log?
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2022 07:47:09 -0800

On 2022-11-06 02:28, Masahiro Yamada wrote:
> Is there a solution to suppress this 'up to date' log?

Hi, Masahiro,

Use make -s.  That option also suppresses the printing of
the recipe commands that are being executed. However, that
is not a problem for a makefile which already hides them
with the @ character, and performs its own customized printing.

  0:[1106:073304]:sun-go:~/txr$ make all
  make: Nothing to be done for 'all'.
  0:[1106:073306]:sun-go:~/txr$ make -s
  0:[1106:073307]:sun-go:~/txr$ touch eval.c stdlib/optimize.tl
  0:[1106:073318]:sun-go:~/txr$ make -s
  CC eval.c -> opt/eval.o
  LINK opt/txr.o [.. SNIP ...] opt/gzio.o -> txr
  TXR stdlib/optimize.tl -> stdlib/optimize.tlo
  0:[1106:073325]:sun-go:~/txr$ make -s
  0:[1106:073327]:sun-go:~/txr$

Unfortunately, I see that the kernel Makefile is too clever;
when you run make -s, it obeys that and suppresses its
custom output like:

  CC      init/version.o
  LD      init/built-in.o
  LD      vmlinux.o

Maybe there is a way to opt-in to that output in spite of
make -s?

(I work in embedded, so I'm not on the latest kernel;
I'm doing everything here with 4.9.)

I see that in tools/build/Makefile.build, it is checking
for -s being in MAKEFLAGS and manipulating the quiet
variable. This works for me:

  make -s quiet=quiet_

The check for -s in MAKEFLAGS is done in a way that
the user's V variable is ignored. At a glance, I don't
see any deliberate interface for overriding that; so
I resorted to overriding the quiet variable with the
correct internal value to get the default abbreviated
comand printing mode.

Cheers ...