Re: bisecting gnu make

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: bisecting gnu make
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2024 10:29:38 -0500

On Fri, 2024-03-08 at 07:01 -0500, DSB wrote:
> So my question is: has anyone done this before? Is there a scripted
> way to reliably build make at each bisection point (assuming 4.3 as
> the minimum)?

I have never tried to do this, but yes certainly each commit was
buildable when it was committed (at least on POSIX-type platforms, I'm
not sure every commit built on every platform although they should).

Is it really necessary to re-run the entire bootstrap every time?
Isn't it sufficient to just re-run "configure && make"?  Also, if you
don't care about translation files you could just run "make make"
instead of rebuilding everything then maybe you wouldn't run into
errors regarding the PO files, the texinfo files, etc.