FW: libtool update likely breaks modules...

From: Howard Chu
Subject: FW: libtool update likely breaks modules...
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2000 01:39:38 -0700

Misdirected this email the first time around. We need a runtime (not compile
time) option in the main/released libtool branch to specify that only static
or only shared libraries should be built. The default behavior of building
both when a platform supports both is not usable on platforms like Win32 and
AIX where the library naming convention doesn't distinguish between dynamic
and static libraries. The static and dynamic code overwrites the same
library file, leaving an ugly mess.

I have raised this issue before. I am aware that there is a libtool branch
(the multi
language branch) that supports tags which supports this functionality, but
that doesn't help since the feature is not in the officially released
version.

  -- Howard Chu