Re: arg list too long (so, split it into two?)

From: Ossama Othman
Subject: Re: arg list too long (so, split it into two?)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2000 12:55:08 -0700

Hi,

On Thu, Oct 05, 2000 at 09:44:19PM +0200, Morten Eriksen wrote:
>         * make larger and fewer object-files, by using some small
>           number of sourcefiles to include the "real" sourcefiles by
>           "#include" statements, and compile and link these instead.
>
>           For an example of how this can be done and integrated as a
>           configure and build-option, see the Coin library at
>           <http://www.coin3d.org>.

Just an observation...

This strategy has the side-effect of increasing footprint, since
combining object files pulls in code that may not be necessary at
run-time, which is a problem if you're developing embedded
applications, for example.

This isn't an issue if your linker does function-level linking (MSVC's
linker does this I think), but many linkers link entire object files
to pull in the appropriate symbols, as I understand.

-Ossama
--
Ossama Othman <address@hidden>
Distributed Object Computing Laboratory, Univ. of California at Irvine