mulit-language-branch BUG: circular macro dependencies

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: mulit-language-branch BUG: circular macro dependencies
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:22:38 -0500

I am using the mulit-language-branch of CVS libtool with
the CVS sources of autoconf and automake.  About a week or two ago
somthing changed in one of these packages to make autoconf fail.
Now autoconf complains about circular dependencies

icarus::/icarus/OCC/OCC (112)% autoconf -v
configure.in:16: warning: AC_PROG_CPP was called before AC_PROG_CC
configure.in:20: AC_REQUIRE: circular dependency of AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.in:20: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is required by...
./aclocal.m4:1233: _AC_LIBTOOL_CXX is expanded from...
configure.in:20: _AC_LIBTOOL_CXX is required by...
./aclocal.m4:1207: AC_LIBTOOL_CXX is expanded from...
./aclocal.m4:495: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL is expanded from...
configure.in:20: the top level

In configure.in I have called AC_PROG_CXX before AC_PROG_LIBTOOL.
If I change this to AC_PROG_LIBTOOL then AC_PROG_CXX
I get only a few warnings:
icarus::/icarus/OCC/OCC (124)% autoreconf -f -i
configure.in:16: warning: AC_PROG_CPP was called before AC_PROG_CC
configure.in:27: warning: AC_PROG_LEX invoked multiple times
configure.in:62: warning: AC_PROG_CXXCPP was called before AC_PROG_CXX

and everything else works fine.  When I first saw the dependency
problems, I tried to find a loop in the dependencies, but I didn't
see one.  Could someone comment on what happened?

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center