Re: Forbidden strings

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: Forbidden strings
Date: 06 Nov 2000 10:57:59 +0100

>> I'd rather take almost the full range and except AR if we need to.

Alexandre> I'd prefer that the maintainers of autoconf weren't so
Alexandre> greedy about prefixes :-)

In fact my position (let's take the full range) is also based on a
simple fact: if today the Libtool team needs AR, maybe tomorrow they
will want AC_.  Them, or anybody else.  So just putting the feet where
it seems sane ([ACUHTS]) seems just a means to hide the problem to me.
That's also why I insisted on having autoconf.sh produce configure
even if there are forbidden strings in it: how can you be sure that's
not what meant the author.

So, how about something like a special comment/macro stating what are
the *words* that are allowed.  Something like

m4_accept_literals([AR_FLAGS], [lt_cv_AR_FLAGS])

then autoconf.sh would just gather these guys, and say nothing about
them.

        Akim