Re: libtool, -fPIC and .so libraries

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: libtool, -fPIC and .so libraries
Date: 15 Nov 2000 23:46:10 -0200

On Nov 14, 2000, Michel LESPINASSE <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 03:21:58AM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> Try libtool 1.3.5, or some CVS version.  I'm pretty sure the
>> restriction on not linking .a files into shared libraries was lifted
>> for GNU/Linux on some architectures such as x86.  It won't work on
>> *all* OSs, though.

> The documentation at http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool talks about a
> --without-pic option. its not in any released libtool though.

Yep.  --without-pic is the configure-time counterpart of
-prefer-non-pic.

> I'm not sure exactly what the option does or if it is implemented in
> unreleased versions or whatever, but I know what I'd like it to do.

Get a CVS snapshot and give it a try, then let us know if it doesn't
do what you want.  I *think* it doesn't, but it shouldn't be too hard
to get libtool to do it.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}