Feature request: c++ name mangling

From: Wolfgang Müller
Subject: Feature request: c++ name mangling
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 23:14:22 +0100 (GMT-1)

Hi all,

I am the maintainer of the GNU Image Finding Tool. I am currently
moving the GIFT towards plugins which are loaded at during runtime.

I am using libtool for this, and it's quite cool indeed.

I've got a feature request, however, my knowledge about portability is
low, so I would like to know what you think:

If you load some *.so file, then you will have to call one or two
functions which give you information about the plugin. In c this is no
problem (just find a good naming scheme, and that's it), but in c++ I
am running into name mangling problems.

Now it would be great, if libtool would automatically determine the
way symbols are mangled by $(CXX), and then configure some c source to
mangle mangle functionnames or another, more appropriate data
structure into function calls. This way we could use dlopen to open
c++ libraries.

What do you think about that?

Cheers,
Wolfgang