Re: rpath command?

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: rpath command?
Date: 27 Nov 2000 12:12:27 -0200

On Nov 27, 2000, Steve Robbins <address@hidden> wrote:

> What I would like to do is:

>       lib_LTLIBRARIES = libfoo.la

>       libfoo_la_LIBADD = \
>               $(top_builddir)/a/adummy.la \
>               $(top_builddir)/b/bdummy.la \
>               $(top_builddir)/c/cdummy.la \
>               $(top_builddir)/d/ddummy.la

The point is that this just can't be done portably.  You need at least
one object file, for two reasons:

(i) libtool may fail if you link only libtool archives into another
libtool archive

(ii) automake wouldn't know which compiler/linker to use for the
library you're creating.  Specifying one or more source files is
supposed to give automake a clue on which languages are being used in
the sub-libraries.

> Is it impossible to support building libraries out of ONLY other
> libraries?

Yes.  It isn't portable.  Some linkers just fail.

Red Hat GCC Developer                  address@hidden, redhat.com}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        address@hidden, gnu.org}