RE: Finding command size; was Re: FIX for Arg list too long...

From: Howard Chu
Subject: RE: Finding command size; was Re: FIX for Arg list too long...
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 13:40:50 -0800

Try
  length=`expr ${some_command} : ".*"`

Of course, when some_command gets too long, it all falls apart. There's no
way around that.

> Q: Should I just avoid this problem all together by always
> building archive files by adding one object at a time?

That could get unbearably slow for big projects...
Maybe just stick with a "reasonable" length, like 512 or 1024, and
leave it at that.

> Q: Are there any platforms that cannot make a shared
> library out of an archive file? (AIX 4.2+ ?)

AIX can do it using the -nogc (no garbage collection) linker option.

  -- Howard Chu