Re: libtool 1.4: "make uninstall" broken?

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: libtool 1.4: "make uninstall" broken?
Date: 05 May 2001 16:26:25 -0600

>>>>> "Peter" == Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> writes:

Peter> The reason is that install-info is often installed under /sbin,
Peter> so it's not in the ordinary user's path.  The "install" targets
Peter> work around this by not calling "install-info" in that case,
Peter> but "uninstall" does not.

The rules in texinfos.am look like they both do the same thing
regarding install-info.

Peter> Tom Tromey said to me something along the lines that uninstall
Peter> is of too little use to bother.

It is true that I think uninstall is nearly useless.

Peter> A correct fix, in my mind, would be to add Autoconf checks for
Peter> install-info, possibly combined with "missing" support.  At the
Peter> same time, vendors should be flamed not to install install-info
Peter> into sbin.  Ordinary users can make perfectly good use of it.

I'm not extremely interested in adding another check to every
configure just to see if install-info is in /sbin.  Traditionally you
have to make sure your PATH is set correctly when building GNU
packages.  `missing' support would be doable, though what would it do
other than ignore the call?

Tom