Re: [MLB] BUG in install when piecewise linking

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: [MLB] BUG in install when piecewise linking
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 10:57:13 -0500

"Gary V. Vaughan" wrote:

> On Monday 07 May 2001  8:13 pm, Robert Boehne wrote:
> > Can I simply not allow relink_commands to be put into
> > lib*.la when piecewise linking is used, or will this have
> > other side effects I'm not aware of?
>
> I expext that it would break --fast-install-mode, and possibly normal linking
> on architectures that require install time relinking (such as HPUX).
>
> Cheers,
>         Gary.
> --
>   ())_.  Gary V. Vaughan     gary@(oranda.demon.co.uk|gnu.org)
>   ( '/   Research Scientist  http://www.oranda.demon.co.uk        ,_())____
>   / )=   GNU Hacker          http://www.gnu.org/software/libtool   \'      `&
> `(_~)_   Tech' Author        http://sources.redhat.com/autobook    =`---d__/

Ok, I've looked into this a bit more, and it appears that
under Solaris sed is truncating it's output to 4000 characters.
So the problem seems to be that when relink_command is formed,
it's passed through bug-ridden vendor sed.  If there is another way
to build $relink_command without running into this problem, I'd
like to hear suggestions.  :)
This is a real pain under Solaris because the maximum length of
command line arguments is FAR larger than SGI's, about a factor
of 100.

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center