RE: $whole_archive_flag_spec and AIX

From: Howard Chu
Subject: RE: $whole_archive_flag_spec and AIX
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 13:31:52 -0700

> As far as I can tell, all of the technical advantages of AIX would not
> prevent providing an interface that is familiar.  Of course, that is
> what Libtool is for. :)

There ya go.  }-)

>   While I've got you here, what exactly does 'ar' do under AIX?
> Seemingly not the same thing as Linux or Solaris, right?

I don't recall that AIX's ar does anything special. It just collects any
input files into an archive, pretty much like tar. I don't remember whether
it creates a symbol table or not, I believe that it doesn't. I also seem to
recall that ranlib is a no-op on AIX. It's been a few months since I've
touched an AIX box so my recollection is a little fuzzy. However, like you,
I've needed to spend many hours reading the AIX linker docs, and that has
left a deeper impression on my brain...