Re: Windowed Libtools

From: Robert Collins
Subject: Re: Windowed Libtools
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 09:01:39 +1000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Korb" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>; <address@hidden>
Cc: <address@hidden>
Sent: Wednesday, May 16, 2001 7:00 AM
Subject: Windowed Libtools

> > > "Wont be able to develop ... libtool *ON WINDOWS* any more."
> >
> > So you're agreeing that the generated ltmain.in must support
> > Cygwin at least as well as the current release?
>
> Of course.

Whew.

> Assuming that rumors are true that it is possible to get a
> minimal Guile running on windows, then you can.  We have to
> avoid using features in our code that are not available on
> WinNT.  (Forget Win3.1 or DOS.  No way, no how.)  These
> features would be shell commands that do not exist and Guile
> functions that do not port.  It also includes nested
> templates because nested template handling was done in a way
> that WinNT can't deal with.  However there is a *very* simple
> workaround.  Where you need to use this construct:

Just a lemma: WinNT != Cygwin. If you want libtool development on
cygwin, you _can_ use features not available on Windows NT _or_ windows
9x.

I'm a bit confused here whether you mean
a) guile on  cygwin
b) guile on windows NT (and whether you mean NT 3.1, 3.5 & 4, or NT 4 &
windows 2k or..)
c) guile on the Win32 platform.

I'd assumed you meant on cygwin from the prior emails...

The reason I point this out is that a) is probably a lot easier than  b
or c, and that if you did mean some variant of b); b) cuts out a _huge_
chunk of the user base.

Rob