Re: [MLB] BUG in install when piecewise linking

From: Robert Boehne
Subject: Re: [MLB] BUG in install when piecewise linking
Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 11:49:18 -0500

Alexandre Oliva wrote:

> On May  9, 2001, Robert Boehne <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > So the problem seems to be that when relink_command is formed,
> > it's passed through bug-ridden vendor sed.  If there is another way
> > to build $relink_command without running into this problem, I'd
> > like to hear suggestions.  :)
>
> One alternative would be to try to figure out the maximum line length
> supported by sed, and use that as an upper bound for the command-line
> length limit.  Then, we could use new-lines instead of semicolons as
> command separators in relink_command.

Alexandre:

Can we get around these problems easier in the binary-branch?
I envision a binary libtool that could do all of the processing
itself, without needing to use sed or shell until it needed to
call a compiler.  Since users can use GNU sed on the two affected
platforms, there's a simple workaround, and that leads me to a
more protracted but more complete solution to the problem.
Is that part of the current plan, and do you all think it
should be?

Robert

--
Robert Boehne             Software Engineer
Ricardo Software   Chicago Technical Center