darwin sharedlib questions.

From: Guido Draheim
Subject: darwin sharedlib questions.
Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 13:24:04 +0200

Hi libtool'ers,

using a remote-login account on a darwin-1.3 machine, I did
currently looking for support of sharedlib/dlopen support for
this platfrom, but I am a bit confused a the moment, so may
be you could enlighten me.

the current libtool (1.4  (1.920 2001/04/24 23:26:18))
does let us know that it supports sharedlibs on this
platform using "dyld". However it did not work since
there were two over-escapes of doublequotes around a
$verstring. (error message from cc about "0.0"). Is
that a libtool-bug? Well, one can remove them to enable
building .so files, using

mv libtool libtool.gen
sed -e '/archive_cmds=/s:\\\\":\\":g' libtool.gen > libtool

Now I have .so files in the .libs-subdirectory, however
looking into /usr/lib there are just lib-files with .dylib
extension in the place of a .so extension. The current
libtool does indeed try to install .so files. Is that
supposed to be correct? (and what's that DYLD_IMAGE_SUFFIX
beast in `man dyld`).

Even more, my test-program is not dynalinked with
the so-library, the installed test-program is quite
big, and `otool -L pfe` says
   /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version
50.0.0)
and that's it. Hmm, that's not nice, right?

Anyway, libtool does also create the "-module"s of my
project, but how to dynaload them? The libltdl README
doesn't say it's supported, and I did not instantly
see what kind of dynaload interface darwin supports.
There is a `man dlfcn` but no header-file nor ldso.
An extra package that is not installed by default?

well, obviously I lack quite some knowledge
about this platforms, any hints for me?
TIA,
-- guido                    http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/ac-archive
31:GCS/E/S/P C++$++++ ULHS L++w- N++@  d(+-) s+a- h.r(*@)>+++ y++ 5++X-