Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder

From: Rasmus Tamstorf
Subject: Re: Auto-tools & Win32 & Borland C++ Builder
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 14:31:19 -0700

On 23 May 2001, Tom Tromey wrote:

> On to your complaints.
>
> Martin> * Mixing up debug and non debug build, do both causes double
> Martin> compile time, double diskspace and x-time more RAM for the
> Martin> debugger. Imagine to need 10 GB for Openoffice debug build and
> Martin> more than 2GB RAM to start the result in a debugger.
>
> I don't understand this.  Do you have a system where you can do a
> debug build and a non-debug build that doesn't take more disk space?
> I don't understand what the debugger has to do with this discussion
> either.

I think the issue is that with autoconf you setup your compiler flags
(debug / optimized etc) for the entire build tree when you run
./configure. However, while developing you may want 90% to be optimized
and only the remaining 10% (a single or a few subpackages) which you are
actively debugging to be build with debuginformation. At least that's an
issue I have ;)

It is possible to add some magic to the makefiles which will allow you to
build debug targets in an otherwise optimized build tree, but it's not
exactly straightforward.

Rasmus