Re: install phase fails

From: Brian May
Subject: Re: install phase fails
Date: 28 May 2001 17:29:29 +1000

    Alexandre> In any case, we do have a problem in libtool; it should
    Alexandre> somehow help the linker find libsub even though it's
    Alexandre> not installed in the expected place.  I suppose we
    Alexandre> could just use the uninstalled version to link whatever
    Alexandre> other libraries depend on it, if we find the library is
    Alexandre> not installed yet.  This will break on HP-UX, but we
    Alexandre> can probably live with that.  In fact, there's no other
    Alexandre> way around.

    Alexandre> Patches are welcome :-)

There was a patch sent to this mailing list several months ago, when
libtool 1.4 was not released.

Does that still apply cleanly?

(I didn't bother with this before, because my initial tests of libtool
1.4 final said everything was OK - I don't know what has changed
since).

One quick fix solution might be to give the linker a parameter like:

-L$prefix/lib

to help it find the installed libraries, even if this is at a
non-standard location. However, I would be very cautious, if the
linker searched /usr/lib first(??), it might link the wrong version of
the library.

My preferred fix would be to replace instances of
.../path/to/lib/liba.la

with something like
.../path/to/lib/.libs/liba.so

which would be guaranteed to get the correct library.
--
Brian May <address@hidden>